1009 N. 6th Ave, Wauchula, FL | Phone: 863-773-9058 | Fax: 863-773-0069
Home

Translate this Page
Hide other sections
1895 - 1950

Early Beginnings

 

           

                                                           

1895—Mason’s Building

          

Teachers are Alys May Corr, unknown, Belle McEwen, Jim Southerland Gertrude McFall, Dennis Cason, supervisor, & Rev P.W. Corr. In center seated are M.S. Stevens & Alice Heard

On the right are students: Joe McEwen, Mel McEwen, Lewis Bostick, Yancy Teachy, unknown, & Jes McEwen These boys played in the band under the direction of Professor Corr.

Second row: Miss Willie Green, Cora Southerland, Maude Wilkinson & Leland Carlton. Other children pictured: Effie Branch, Myrtle McEwen, Bessie Branch, Flossye McEwen, Lloyd Carlton, Pearl McEwen, Valda Bostick, Mallie Wiggins, Tom Wiggis, Alfred Cochran, Floy Hendry, & Earl Carlton seated on the far right.

 

 

Source: Watch Wauchula Win, Margaret Stringer, Photo from Bertie Southerland Forrest 

                                                                                   

 

        


  

As pioneers began to travel southward, settlements began emerging throughout the region

that is now known as Hardee County.  These communities opened make-shift schools in homes,

neighborhood churches, and one-room log cabins to provide their children

with a proper education.

 

Grades 1- 8 were taught with all grades combined into a single classroom. Subjects included the

three "R"s: Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic.

 The curriculum comprised memorization of multiplication tables, spelling words, and chapters or

verses from the Bible and other literary works. Spelling bees and recital of subject content reinforced

what was taught in the classroom. Also, there was also an emphasis on addition, subtraction, multiplication

 and division. 

 

Wauchula School, undated  but written on the back

"1st School House & Annex to it in Wauchula."

Source: CrackerBarrel Rootsweb.com,

Photo from Betty White

Wauchula School

Source : CrackerBarrel Rootsweb.com,

Photo from Betty White

  

Strawberry Schools

 

Our schools were known as the "Strawberry Schools" because the school terms

were scheduled around the harvesting of the strawberry crop.

 

Classes would begin in July and then close in December through March.

This enabled the children to pick berries along side of their parents and other siblings.

 

Then the schools would reopen during the middle of March.


                                                                                     

 

 

Wauchula Schools

 

In 1884, the first school house was located west of town in a log cabin which housed

120 students.

 

The principal of the school was Rev. T.J. Sparkman and his assistant was Mary A. Payne.

 

 

In 1895, a new school was built at South 8th Avenue and Bay Street by the Masons.  The

Masons referred to the school as the "Wauchula School". The building consisted of two floors. 

The Masonic Hall was on the top floor and the school was located on the bottom floor.

 

                 1895

  Dennis Marion Cason

First Supervisor of Wauchula Schools.

 

Source: Watch Wauchula Win, Margaret Stringer,

Photo from Marjorie Cason Durrance

 

Mr. Dennis Marion Cason helped in the construction of the building because he

was very interested in education.  He would encourage parents to enroll their children in school.

 

Therefore, when the school opened; he was appointed Supervisor and Rev. T.J. Sparkman

became Superintendent. 


Mr. R.D. Moore became the new principal and Helen Carlton was assigned as the assistant. 

 

They had very little money then.  There was only $100 allotted for supplies.

 

There was also a grading committe which was selected for examinations on September 2, 1895.

The committee decided that examinations would be held in September.  The committee 

members were:  R.D. Moore, C.J. Carlton and George W. Harp.

 

Class of 1908

 

 

 

 

 

 

Class of 1908, taken at the schoolhouse on South Eighth   Avenue and Bay Street.

The next year classes were moved to the new brick school on West Oak Street and North Seventh Ave. Professor Shaver was principal.

 

 

Source: Watch Wauchula Win, Margaret Stringer,   Photo from Emerson Clavel                                                                      

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

 

In 1909

 

 In 1909, students moved to the new brick school located on West Oak Street and

North Seventh Avenue.  This was the first of the three units to be built.  The location

for this building would be on the east side of the complex. 

 

The school was named, "Wauchula High School," complete with a bell tower. 

The school housed all grades at the time of the initial opening.  

 

Professor Joseph Wilson became the principal and the staff comprised of 4 teachers. 

 

   

                                                                

 

  


Source: Watch   Wauchula Win, Margaret Stringer,

 

Photo from   Frances Causey

 

 

 

 

 

Wauchula High School in 1913

Over Crowded Schools Continue

 

In 1915, the 2nd building was erected to help eleviate the continuing

crowded conditions due to increasing enrollment.

 

Compensatory Law

 

July 1919, the Compensatory Law went into effect requiring that all children were

to attend school. Therefore,  the third unit was added connecting the two other

buildings at the cost of $25,000. In 1920 the enrollment of students reached 950.

 

Over crowdedness occurred in the lower grades. Enrollment showed that the 3rd

grade had 117 students and the 4th grade had 120 students. Miss Ella Beeson

had to hold double sessions to accommodate the numbers both morning and afternoon.

 

 W.R. Gramling was the Superintendent and Professor W.E. Sawyers was the Principal

of the High School.

 

 

                                                                        

 

 

Three   building complex located on West Oak   Street .The Far Right building was the High school 1909, far left was built   in 1915 and became the Grammar school.   Finally, in 1920 the center building was erected

 

 

 

 

Source: Watch Wauchula Win, Margaret Stringer,

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Board of Public Instruction Formed in 1921

The creation of Hardee County began on April 23, 1921, when the Senate Bill No 51

went into effect.  This Bill divided Desoto County into 4 additional Counties: Hardee,

Highlands, Glades and Charlotte.  

 

The law also required each of the five counties to hold a conference to determine and

assume the responsibility of Public Instruction respectively. This included equitable

division of any left-over funds, debts and personal property.

 

On May 4, 1921, the Board was officially appointed in the three districts:

 

District 1:      Bowling Green, Ft. Green, Ona   - W.R. Minor

District 2:     Wauchula area - S.B. Hogan

District 3:     Crewsville, Popash, Zolfo, Gardner, Sweetwater, Limestone & Lily area—H.K. Still

 

The three men then held an election and determined that S.B. Hogan would become the

Chairman of the Board.

 

W.R. Gramling, Superintendent of PBI was also present and served as the secretary as provided

by law.  

 

During the meeting held on May 20, 1921, the annual salary for the Superintendent would be

$2,400; with a $25 travel expense. His assistant would be paid $1,200 annually.

 

                                                    

 

 

W.R. Gramling

Superintendent of PBI

Original photograph hangs in the lobby of the

District Offices

No Photographer Specified

 

 

Our Motto

Equal training

Of the

         Heads,    

    Hands

And

Heart.

e1920’s g

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A meeting was held on June 6, 1921, in DeSoto County PBI to determine business

operation responsibilities and also to request the State Auditor to audit the books

of Desoto. In addition, they also determined the valuation of the assessable properties

for each of the counties. Using the 1920 Tax Roll.

 

The following day, June 7, 1921, the board met to authorize borrowing $350 for

teacher’s salaries which was obtained through the Special Tax Fund.  

 

It was voted the number of teachers per school would be decided based on

enrollment numbers.

 

·  12-40 students constitutes 1 teacher

· 40-75 students constitutes 2 teachers

· 75-110 students constitutes 4 teachers

· No new school if enrollment was less than 15 pupils

 

Transportation for students was capped at no more than .20 cents a day per

pupil for all grammar children living 3 miles or more from the nearest school

when Special Tax School District funds were available.

 

On July 5, 1921, the board retained an attorney, L. Grady Burton, for legal counsel.

 

 

Oak Park School, Wauchula 1925

  

 Source: Hillsbourgh Library, Digital Collection,

Photograhy by Burgert Brothers

1925

s and   Heart .

 

  

 A New High School 1926

Inspite of the three unit complex being completed, the school district still

experienced overcrowded  conditions.

 

 Once again, the school board had to bond for a new building in the

amount of $50,000. The school would be located in Pouncy’s Subdivision

about three blocks south of Main Street. Lots for the school were purchased

from W.L. Warren for $5,000. (Board Minutes, Vol 1, page 104)

 

The new two story High School was to be built by Paber Construction and

designed by H.G. Little, a Wauchula architect. The exterior would be constructed

with red brick and stone.    

 

The school contained sixteen classrooms with a large auditorium, office rooms,

library, laboratories, and a clinic. The cost was $50,000.  The new building could

hold 400 students. 

 

The new school was completed in the spring of 1926.

 

 Principal of the school was Sam W. McInnis.

Source: Touch of Classes,   Project Graduation 1996

 

The Great Depression in the 1930's

In the Depression Era, Hardee Schools were referred to as the “Pay Schools.” Education

was greatly affected during this bleak period in history.   The Board of Public Instruction was forced to

require a tuition fee to be paid for each student to attend public school. There was no money to pay teacher

salaries, purchase books or maintain supplies for the classroom. 

  Money was scare for many families, so grandparents and other family members would assist in the tuition

fees.   In many cases, children would have to drop out of school because their parents couldn’t afford to pay.

 

Teachers were paid in script; which was a piece of paper stating that the BPI would issue pay, as soon as,

  monies became available. However, this could be a long period of time and teachers needed money to live. 

 In many instances, teachers would opt for taking 10 cents on the dollar, so they could buy necessary items

at the local grocery store.

 

 

 Consolidation/ Closing of Rural Schools

Between 1930-1940 era, many schools that had served as the strawberry and

cucumber schools were closed in order to consolidate.

 

There were as many as 33 schools in various communities throughout our District. 

They were Altman, Bowling Green, Bridges, Buchanan,Castalia, Center Hill, College Hill,

Crewsville, Fish Branch, Ft. Green,  Gardner, Harrison City, Holzendorf, Lake Branch,

Lemon Grove, Lilly Branch, Limestone, Live Oak, Maud(e), Oak Grove, Ona Station,

Parnell, Pine Dale, Popash, Prospect, Scott, Spring Hill, Sweetwater, Torrey, Tura,

Vandolah, Wauchula and Zolfo Springs.  

 

These are schools that can be verified as being in existence because the District has

Teacher Attendance Rosters for each of these schools. Actual establishments are only

recorded as we learn more about these schools. 

 

Our records vary due to the time frame involved.  Record keeping was simplified in these

early years.  Inclusive dates may not be 100% acurate.  Regardless, there were many strides

being made to ensure education for all children in the rural areas.

 

Consolidation occurred as roads improved making travel easier for students to get to

and from school. Major highways that were added also contributed to the closing of many

schools and leaving only the more centralized schools in the county open. The Board brought

the recommendation from the State Department of Education to the table for consideration

at their March 21, 1949, meeting. The recommendation was for the School Board to consolidate

to three permanent school centers:

Zolfo Springs, Bowling Green and Wauchula.

 

The Board unanimously voted to accept the states

proposal. (Board Minutes Vol:2 page 244)

 

In addition, the Railroad also played an important role in determining the three

centers. The North Atlantic Coast Railroad ran through the cities and communities

that would later become Hardee County:

Bowling Green, Torrey, Wauchula, Zolfo, Moffitt, Buchanan and Gardner.

 

 The map below, shows the routes of the railroad.

 

 

                                              1920 Map, Source: fcit.usf.edu

 

Shown on this map are: Altman, Bowling Green, Bridges, Buchanan. Crewsville, Ft Green, Gardner, Grubhof ,

Kinsley, Lily, Limestone, Maud(e), Moffitt, Ona, Sinclair, Sweetwater, Torrey, Wauchula and Zolfo.

 

 

1933 Name Changed for Wauchula High School

On August 29, 1933, the Wauchula High School was renamed the Hardee

County High School by the Board of Public Instruction.   (Board Minutes, Volume 1, Page 276)

  

 

1945 Fire Claims the Hardee County High School

 At 10:40 A.M. on April 27, 1945, the alarm sounded for the local fire

department to respond to a blaze at the Southeast corner of Bay Street

and Florida Avenue. It was the High School! The arrival at the scene and

seeing that the fire team couldn’t handle the blaze on their own, Chief Peeples

requested help from neighboring fire stations in Ft. Meade, Avon Park and Arcadia.

 

In spite of their efforts, the heat became so unbearable that they had to retreat.

The building burned to the ground leaving nothing but the walls standing.

All records of students who graduated since 1925 were lost in the fire. The loss of

the building, equipment and contents was estimated at $150,000.

There was nothing left to salvage.

 

          Source:    

      CrackerBarrel, Rootsweb.com    

 

       Source:     

 Main Street 2006 Calendar          

 

 

The Board being in session, at the time of the fire adjourned to offer assistance.

In the afternoon of that same day, they reconvened to determine how they would continue

the high school for the 1945-46 school term. Quick action by the board was evident when

they passed a resolution to secure permission from the Zolfo Springs Trustees to house the

county high school in the Zolfo school building.

 

Superintendent T.E. Blackburn, Board Chairman C.A. Best and Member English made a trip

to Tallahassee where they met with Representative Taylor. In the conference with Representative

Taylor, they made their plead for financial assistance, in order to secure books, Home Economics

equipment, library books, typewriters, desks and other needs. 

 

 

 Upon their return at the May 4, 1945, Special Meeting they reported that they had been

successful in acquiring financial aid.

(Board Minutes Vol:2, Pages 121-122)

 

 

Temporary Location for High School Students

 

The aftermath of the fire, brought on a whole new meaning to opening day. The Board

and Trustees were faced with many obstacles.  Additional preparation was required,

in order, for the education of Wauchula High School students to continue.  

School doors would be opened on May 24th. Starting time would be at 9:45 A.M.

 

Source: A Touch of Classes, Project Graduation 1996

A plea by Superintendent T.E. Blackburn was made to the community for donations.

 “We sustained a very heavy loss in building, books, furnishings and other equipment. The loss

cannot be easily replaced. Much of it is not on the market. We are a small county, and there

is a great need of unity, unity and more unity. We need your help and your children need the

help of all together least we fail them in providing the essentials for an adequate school system.”

 

High School principal, Prichard also made requests for much needed items.

 

Additional concerns and adjustments had to be made to accommodate sanitation issues,

parking, lunches and providing adequate water supply at the Zolfo Springs School.

Transportation of students was another issue that needed to be addressed. It was decided

that for the 1945-46 school term all high school students were to be picked up at three

major locations at 9:00 A.M.

 

1. All high school students living west of 7th Avenue would wait for their bus at the

High School ground.

 

2. All high school students living east of 7th Avenue will wait at the Bay Street Service Station.

 

3. All high school students living north of Main Street would meet at the elementary school.

  

Text books were another issue along with the need of stocking a library. The Principal made a request

to the public to donate any books that private citizens may have. Any donation of books would be

accepted with open arms.

Source:

Touch of Classes

1996 Project Graduation

 

 

Re-Establishing Credits

 

All permanent records of students were lost in the fire in the spring of 1945.

As a result of the fire, Mr. Jack Pritchard, Principal of Hardee County High School,

responded to requests from other schools and universities explaining that students 

were responsible for re-establishing their credits for graduation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 A letter was written on October 3, 1945.   There was also an enclosure for the

purpose of listing courses taken for each of the respective four years: Freshman,

Sophomore, Junior and Senior years.   Most of the re-collections of courses taken

were determined by the word of the student.

 

  

The Hardee County High School is Rebuilt

 

It was the 20th of Junein 1945; when the Architect L. Alex Hutton appeared

before the Board to submit the application for approval which included blue prints

and specifications. Funds would be directed under the Bureau of Community Facilities

to build a new high school.

 

The Wauchula Trustees presented the proposed site for construction on December 27, 1945.

It was a 10 acre track located next to the west side of the old highway known as the

Southerland Estate. The cost was $6,000.

 

In order for the PBI to have funding to build the new county high school, a county

referendum on legislative issues had to be settled for the use of Race Track Funds.

 

An Election was to be held on February 12, 1946, to determine the funding of the high school.

 

Trustees and the Board decided to request that the Board of County Commissioners set aside

$5,000 annually to be matched by the Trustees for 15 years.   The monies would come from

Race Track funds, over the 15 years that would provide for $150,000.

 

The completion cost would be as high as 300,000 which would include 10-12 classrooms,

study halls, furnishings and a auditorium. The monies for the gymnasium would be generated

through the American Legion who agreed to take on the fund raising for this project.

 

Architect Elliott and Fletcher, Associates were responsible for the specifications.

 

A building committee was established to oversee the project. Members of the committee

were: R.A. Taylor, A.B. Pearce, Evan Jones, Woodrow Nicholson, L.W. Bostick and Albert Lane.

 

On April 20, 1948, the Board awarded the construction bid from C.A. Fielland, Inc. of Tampa. 

(Board Minutes, Vol:2, Page 220-221)

 

The cost would be:         $320, 619.00

Plumbing:                        $14,082.50

Roy A. Barnett & Sons

Gym foundation               $16,858.00

& concrete floor

  Source: Crackel Barrel, Rootsweb.com

 

 

 

 

 

Dedication  Ceremony of the New Hardee County High School

   

 A dedication committee for the opening of the school consisted of Mr. Joel Evers and

Mr. H.F. Johnson.

 

They were given the direction from the Board that the ceremony be on August 31, 1949.

 

 The dedication ceremony was held in the afternoon with an estimated crowd of 3,000.

Hardee County Teacher’s Association greeted guests and conducted tours throughout the new complex.

  

 

 The new school opened for students on September 12, 1949, with 444 students in attendance. 

  Teachers at opening day were: Joel Evers, principal, Isabel F. Akins, E.E. Bagwell,

Katherine Bostick,  Golda Carlton, Frances Causey, Paul Creech, Ralph Fritz, R.G. Manley,

V.G. Matherly, Sara McInnis, Thelma Cole Miller, Alice T. Pearce, C.A. Platt, Mattie Mae Saunders,

Norma Shackelford, Louise Southerland, Mary Louise Van Natta, Maude Wilkinson and Lorraine Young.

  

    

 

 

 

 

Flag Pole in front of  Hardee County High School

    

                                             

 

              Dedication   Plaque Hangs in Foyer

               of the Hardee County High School    

                 According to the  plaque, the school 

                 was erected in 1958

                    

  

This beautiful painting was hung in the front ntrance of the New High School.

The painting was done by Dorothy Sherman Leech.  There is no information available a

s to how this painting became a part of the Hardee County High School. 

 

1949-1950 School Year

The Board of Public Instruction ruled that starting school in this year,

the insignia for the Hardee County High School would be "H" instead of the

"W" for Wildcats.  (Board Minutes Volume 2, page 244)

 

 

  

 

 Lillian R. Brown School Built in 1950

  

 The school was first named Wauchula Junior High School and taught students in the

first grade through the eighth.

 

 Plans for construction of the new school first began when board members met on

May 20, 1950, to accept the bid from Himrod and Bostick for $17,988.

 

On September 8, 1950, the dedication ceremony was held with the attendance

of two-hundred people. The ceremony consisted of the Superintendet of H.B.

Dominick welcoming the public with the Principal, Mrs. L.R. Brown, of the school

responding.

 

Guest speaker for the event was D.E. Williams, Superintendent of Education,

State of Florida, Department of Education.