1009 N. 6th Ave, Wauchula, FL | Phone: 863-773-9058 | Fax: 863-773-0069
Home

Translate this Page
Hide other sections
Limestone
 1932 State Archives of Florida
1932 State Archives of Florida
Early Schools Main Page
Additional Pages:
Altman
Bowling Green
Bowling Green 10D
Bridges
Buchanan
Castalia
Center Hill
College Hill
Crewsville
Dean Still 9D
Fish Branch
Ft. Green
Gardner
Harrison City
Holzendorf
Lake Branch
Lemon Grove
Lily Branch
Limestone
Faculty
Limestone 31D
Live Oak
Maude
Oak Grove
Ona Station
Parnell
Pine Dale / Lake Dale
Popash
Prospect
Scott
Spring Hill
Sweetwater
Torrey
Tura
Vandolah
Wauchula
Wauchula 5D At Crate
Zolfo Springs
Zolfo Springs 3D

School was open from 1912-1941   Location #31

On July 2, 1912 the Limestone Trustees were granted $100 for a 20’ X 30’ frame building. The teacher was V. O. Fussell. The school began

when three students from Lily were moved to Limestone school.

 In 1916 a grant in the amount of $8,000 was allotted for a new two-story brick school to be housed on four acres of land. The grant

included furnishings and maintenance.

The new school opened on August 1, 1921 with 32 students and one teacher.

 

Daily Schedule: (1931-32)

2nd grade: Opening exercises, Primer Reading, Words and Phonics, Reading, Writing, Recess, Numbers,

Physical Training, Rest Period, Silent Reading, Spelling Drawing, Language, Story Telling & Games 

 

The school closed in 1949 when consolidation occurred.

 

Enrollment:

1939-40   86 students

1940--1 74 students

1941-42   70 students

1943-44   63 students

1944-45   71 students

1945-46   75 students 

1948-49   61 students

 

 Grades taught: 1-8

 

 School Bell

Still standing today at the Limestone Church.

   

 

7