skip to main content
1009 N. 6th Ave, Wauchula, FL | Phone: 863-773-9058 | Fax: 863-773-0069
Home

Translate this Page
Hide other sections
Departments
Additional Pages:
Curriculum
ESE
Federal
Finance
Food Service
Human Resources
Maintenance & Facilities
MIS & Technology
Transportation

Departments Became Necessary Additions

 

Trustees

The earliest accounts for school-site routine maintenance and up-keep of the grounds fell on the responsibility of the Trustees.  Trustees were appointed to specific schools, in order,

 to facilitate any necessary repairs to the school building.

 

Another task was keeping the grounds free from debris or any harmful objects that could become a possible hazard to the safety and well being of the children attending the school

or playing at recess. 

 

Once the trustee would seek out the contractor or handyman to do the job based on skills and craftmanship, he/she would present the costs to the Board,

 and then the recommendation was awarded.

 

Works Project Administration

 

Works Project Administration began to appear in the Board Minutes in the middle 1930’s. Trustees would  still make their recommendations to the Board for building improvements and repairs. Such items included;

upgrades in area of sanitation, electricity, fire prevention standards, installations of safety equipment and apparatuses, basic repairs and maintenance, new additions to existing buildings and also new construction.

However, large projects or district wide improvements usually became part of the WPA which was federally funded through grants. Once the projects were determined, a supervisor would then be appointed by the

Trustees pending final approval from the board. 

Supervisors were recommended based on skills and knowledge of the project itself. Local architects and building contractors would estimate the costs and assist the board in preparing applications

for submission to WPA for consideration of awarding grant monies for the project.

 

The responsibility of the WPA supervisor was to handle all aspects of the project including but not limited to preparation of the necessary plans and required documents for the grant office.

 

 School Lunch Room Around 1937

 

Mary Bostick was the lunchroom manager for Hardee County for many years and was instrumental in the development of making the process of feeding children such a vital part of a school day.

The PTA was the lunchroom sponsors. Salaries were provided through the lunch sales, as well as, all other items needed to produce and serve daily meals. The foods of the day were served in

tin cups at 5 cents a cup. Full meals were offered to teachers which included the choice of two vegetables, a cup of soup, the main dish, milk and a dessert.

 

Eating cooked meals was a new venture for many children whom previously brought their meals in a tin bucket.

The school served soup, milk, hamburgers and hotdogs.

 

The government began to provide commodities and pay individuals to work. Flour was shipped in barrels, so, the lunchroom workers would make biscuits and serve vegetables that were brought from their own gardens.

Usually there were 6 to 8 workers who would peel potatoes the day before and then store them in tubs of water until the next day. Many days lunchroom workers would stay until late afternoon snapping beans

and preparing vegetables for the next days menu.

 

Cooking was done on a kerosene stove. Washing dishes was done in tubs; one for washing and one for rinsing.

 

 

Lunch Pail

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

         
         

Please note: Florida has a very broad public records law. Most written communication to or from our state officials regarding
state business are public records that are available to the public and media upon request.